whether you are new at blogging or developed a few bad habits along the way, we all can use a reminder or two when it comes to being a respectable blogger. no one is perfect (including me) and we all make mistakes, but if you want to keep loyal readers and continue to grow your blog, here are some things to keep in mind.
1. respond to comments as often as you can, even if it is just to say thank you. i get so wrapped up in a busy life that sometimes i forget to respond to my comments, but for the most part, i do. responding builds a relationship with your readers and keeps them coming back. that's what we want, right?
2. STOP spam commenting! this is the most annoying thing EVER! i really don't want you here if you are only here to ask me to come over to your blog and follow you. i started this blog as my own personal life journal and it has grown a little over the years and i have made some wonderful friends along the way who are very interested in what i have to write about. i don't expect my content to suit everyone's interests, but if you work hard and keep your blog up to date, people will come and they will follow you because they are genuinely interested in YOU. to me, it's not about the number of followers i have as it is the number of people that come back. i like to hear what you liked about my post or describe an experience you had that was similar. you can even respond to any questions i have asked. not every comment you make has to be an in depth composition, but i am going to assume you didn't even read my post if all you say is "hi, i'm your newest follower, come by my blog and follow me too". we all put a lot of effort into writing our posts, show some respect for one another.
3. STOP rude anonymous commenting in their tracks! everywhere you go there will be people who will want to criticize you for what you say, what you do, what you wear, how you look, how you live YOUR life, etc. and unless you or someone else is publicizing criminal acts on their blog, don't let the negativity others besiege get you down. just put it behind you and move on. this kind of behavior just out right makes me angry, but it happens. i have never had any comments that were distasteful or put me and my family down, but i see it all the time. there are 5.2 million other things you could be doing with your life, and thousands upon thousands of other blogs, and you chose to spend it pissing off or hurting the writer of a blog you dislike? it makes me wonder what else are you wasting your life away on? don't like it? move on.
4. ALWAYS link back to another person's content if you knowingly use their ideas or photos. sometimes it is even courteous to let them know. just sending a quick email with a link to your post is all that's need. nothing is more uncool than claiming another person's idea as your own.
5. turn word verification OFF! i can promise you, you will generate way more returning traffic and receive a lot more comments with it turned off. why? because it's annoying and a waste of time and i may not leave a comment if i have to endure trying to decipher a bunch of random letters and numbers.
these are just a few of the things you can do to help maintain your integrity in this big blog world. you don't have to be a super blogger to be good at it as long as you be yourself and follow these recommendations.
what would you add to this list?