I'm here to admit that I successfully made it through October and Halloween week. I didn't fall victim to all the candy eating like I feared, however, I did find that we were relying on unhealthy processed quick foods to get us through all the busy times. Although, I didn't gain any weight during this time, I did come out on the other side feeling sick and miserable and eager to get back to eating clean and healthy.
November is like the eye of the storm because I tend to ease up on all the baking during this month but as soon as December moves in, it will all start up again. If I can make it through December then I am in the clear! Even though Thanksgiving is a nothing more than a day to eat your heart out, the meals my step mom prepares are not only amazing, they are actually pretty healthy. I almost never feel guilty for over indulging in the food she makes each year.
But in the meantime, I am jumping back on track after I went crazy in the kitchen with all of my baking projects. After my first real trip post Halloween, I discovered that I pretty much grab the same foods to keep in my fridge and pantry at all times.
Here are some foods that I always keep on hand in my kitchen:
- Black Olives
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenderloins
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Black Beans
- Honey Mustard
- Taco Seasoning
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Raw Almonds
I love almost all foods but I always seem to keep these around at all times. I definitely can't live without some of these. I can make a week's worth of delicious meals and an assortment of yummy snacks with just these few items. I do eat more than this, but I want you to see how easy it can be to enjoy healthy foods without having to spend a fortune.
So, what can I make with these items, you ask?
Here is a list of foods I usually prepare with some of these items:
- Salad with veggies and honey mustard dressing
- Smoothie using bananas, avocado, spinach, raw almonds, and almond milk
- Chicken taco salad (or tacos using the tortillas) using chicken, taco seasoning, lettuce, tomatoes, moz. cheese, and black olives
- Black bean salad (or tacos using the tortillas) using black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and moz. cheese.
- Omelets using eggs, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado, and moz. cheese
- Carrot fries (sliced like a french fry and baked in the oven on low until slightly crispy)
- Banana chips
- Mock guacamole with baked tortillas
- Chicken quesadillas using chicken, tortillas, and moz. cheese
- Baked chicken with steamed carrots
Not all of my meals are 100% clean, but eating as clean as possible is my goal and I always feel so much better when I do.
What are some of the foods you must keep on hand in your kitchen?
It's NaBloPoMo, which means I will be blogging every day in November. I do hope you will follow along here.